Wednesday, September 21, 2011

VISION CARE MISSION Rex Leyte

Wonderful story of Mission to Panama done by a member of Trinity.  

VISION CARE MISSION- Rex Leyte

In mid January 2011 after months of back and forth communications with the Panamanian Health Authorities, I received approval for a Vision Care Mission to Achutupu - a tiny island off the coast of Panama. On Feb. 27th my son-in-law, Dan Ayan, my right hand and translator (He's fluent in Spanish) and I arrived at the Achutupu airstrip. We were greeted by the most dynamic and energetic 80 + year old man you'll ever meet, Howard Walter and his wife Mariella. With their continued assistance for the next five days, we did visual testing and issued eye glasses to the native Kuna who call this tiny island home. We matched the prescriptions as close as possible (not always close enough). On my return I began matching prescriptions more closely and to date we've shipped glasses to 99% of those that needed correction. We are now in the process of getting ready for our next trip. Based on the first trip, I have a better idea of what to take and what not to take.

In addition to my eye glasses, my daughter Linda (a Barrie School Teacher) canvassed her school for school supplies. She collected over 150 lbs of school supplies which we delivered to the grateful students. This effort is ongoing for 2012.

Ours was the first such mission to Achutupu and the first time many of these people ever had functional vision. There are 48 more similar island communities in Kuna Ayla, all I'm sure with similar problems. I hope to continue these visit! for as long and as often as possible, expanding to other islands. I have the time, the equipment and a great source of used eyeglasses to do more. The limiting factor is funding. Anyone wishing to help can contact the Trinity Church Office at 705-728-2691.

No comments:

Post a Comment