Monday, September 19, 2011

September 18th 2011

In the 1940's I had a summer job directing a camp for mothers and children from the inner city of Toronto. It left me with many rich experiences. One incident happened between camps on a Sunday when we were free to go to church. A student who was on staff elected to accompany me. The nearest church was four miles away on a hot dusty road. We arrived very weary, enjoyed the service, but then faced the prospect of a long walk back to camp. Outside the church, an elderly lady approached us. "Would you care to come back with us for lunch" she said. "I only have two slice of bologna but there are  plenty of fresh vegetables from the garden and you are very welcome". We were very grateful in accepting I the invitation and were driven back to the home. Each of us enjoyed our half slice of bologna with fresh garden vegetables.

I In my lifetime I have enjoyed some wonderful hospitality, luscious meals in beautiful homes. None will I compare with that simple meal in an Ontario farmhouse. Our host and hostess first of all took the trouble to speak to us and identified our need and acted on it. She could have thought to herself, " I wish I had something decent in the house but I cannot offer them half a slice of bologna, perhaps next time ". But there will never be a next time.

When we greet newcomers to church they probably do not need a square meal. Let us try to identify what I they need without being intrusive. Some of us are shy about approaching strangers. Let us swallow our ; shyness or pride and say a prayer. Let us remember the words of St. Paul " I can do all things through him who strengthens me ". (Phil 4: 13) We may not think our friendship is much to offer but let us offer it with a loving discerning heart and it will be truly a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment