Wednesday, July 20, 2011

June 26th 2011

One of the sad things we encounter as Christian leaders are those who declare "I am not good lenough". They harbour a deep sense of inadequacy. They forget they are God's own child, bought by his son on the Cross. Instead they choose to hang on to a frightened inadequate self.

Many years ago, a friend of mine had an experience which I am sure she would be happy for me to share with you. One day, her little girl came running to her in great distress. She held in her hand the remains a cup she had broken. She kept crying, "Mommy I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry". It was a good cup, a favourite one and my I friend felt very sad. However, she forgave her daughter and told her it was alright. Together, they put the shards in the garbage. Nonetheless, the child kept running to her through the day crying, "Mommy, I'm so sorry". Each time she received assurance. After a while this became irritating and finally when she found the  little girl scrounging in the garbage looking for the pieces she was about to express her irritation when she was brought up short and shaken by a sudden realization. She herself had been harbouring guilt about a wrong she had done. She worried about it and kept asking herself, how she could have done such a thing. In her prayers, she kept asking for forgiveness. She suddenly realized what she was doing. She, the child of God was saying I'm not good enough; I am not worthy to be forgiven. She was creating a barrier between herself and her heavenly Father just as her daughter had done.

There are many passages of scripture, I could quote that would enrich our understanding about forgiveness. We forgive when we love, we love when we forgive. I would like to leave with you with a passage from the Epistle of John (not the Gospel). 1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love but perfect love cast out fear for fear has to do with punishment and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love ".

No comments:

Post a Comment