Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 10th 2011


In Isaiah 6, we have the dramatic story of the prophet entering the temple and seeing a vision of the Lord sitting high on his throne attended by seraphim who worshipped him. Isaiah is filled with a sense of his own unworthiness and a seraph is sent to touch his lips with live coals and declare that his sins are forgiven. Then and only then, Isaiah hears the voice of the Lord asking "Whom shall I send? Who will go for us? " The prophet does not hesitate to respond "Here am I, send me ".

Eighty-five or more years ago, I sat in my little kindergarten chair in Sunday School and listened to Mrs. Bloomer our teacher, tell that story. As I sat and listened no-one would have noticed anything different but it was a special moment for me. I too said, "Here am I Lord, send me."

In 2 Corinthians 3:17, St. Paul writes, "Where the spirit of the lord is, there is freedom." We cannot afford to waste the life God has given us. When he drops something in our laps, we need to be free in his spirit to do it. We will be tempted to say, we do not have the skills or time. Often we are afraid of failure or being made to look foolish. He will free us of all these fears and give us strength to live our lives, lovingly, creatively, freely.

The little girl in the kindergarten chair has lived to a ripe old age. She has lived her life in a low key ministry in the church with her family. God did not call her to do anything outstanding and dramatic but from time to time she has been aware of a call to a special assignment. She has grown to know and experience with St. Paul in 2 Corinthians 4 16: "that we do not lose heart, even though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. "

No comments:

Post a Comment