Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 17th 2012


Some years ago, I was talking to a professor of theology who said he felt that it was very important when lecturing to make frequent reference to a map. He maintained that subconsciously it is easy for many to think of the Bible stories as coming from a never never land of legend. We need to be very conscious that the stories we read in scripture nearly all happened in real places. What better confirmation of this than to find a name on a map.

Last week, I asked you to use your imaginations to picture the real happenings of scripture. This week I am asking you also to use maps. For starters, most Bibles have several at the back. I think it is also good to study from a modern one too. I am fortunate enough to have a large atlas my grandson gave me but you can pick up a very adequate one at the drug store for about $3.00.

Of course, the alternative is to travel to the actual places. In these troubling times, it is possible to take trips to the Holy Land to follow St. Paul through Turkey, Greece and the Mediterranean. I do not think anyone is ever the same after visiting Jerusalem. It is a wondrous, holy and exciting place.

My husband served two years in Malta during the First World War. One day, when he was out sailing, his boat was caught in the current and was out of his control. He thought, could he be caught in the same current St. Paul described in Acts 27. Sure enough, his boat was carried to the same spot St. Paul is said to have landed!

For  those for whom travel is not a choice, there are many interesting accounts of archaeological digs  on  T.V.  these  days.  Viewed  with  intelligent  discernment,  they  can  be  very  helpful  and enjoyable. Anything which leads us to spiritual enlightenment and prayer is enriching so I ask you to:

Read it through,
Think it out,
Pray it in.

Painting by Canon Frances 

No comments:

Post a Comment