Sunday, June 3, 2012

June 3rd 2012


I think it was Augustine of Hippo, who said that “a prayer sung is a prayer prayed twice”. Today as I contemplate Trinity Sunday, I want to sing. I want to sing about God my father who made me and this world in which we live and move and have our being. I want to reach out and take the hand of Jesus my Saviour and sing as I feel God’s love flowing from him. Then that love becomes power, the power and peace of the Holy Spirit and I am uplifted in hymns of praise.

This morning, I am feasting on songs of praise. Silently! The other residents and staff might wonder about me. Perhaps that would be good thing. I have opened my red hymn book, leafed through it, here and there stopped to sing to myself. I would love to include here some of the verses but it would not be practical.

Some seekers after truth tend to doubt when their finite minds cannot grasp the infinite glory of God. We must never give up searching with our minds but above all experiencing with our hearts and showing forth his love in our lives.

One of the great saints of the Christian church was St. Francis of Assisi. He wrote this beautiful hymn which is one of my favorites. It is number 1 in the old red hymn book and number 355 in the Book of Common Praise. The first and last verses are printed here.

All creatures of our God and King, lift up your voices, let us sing: Alleluia, alleluia!
Bright burning sun and golden beams, pale silver moon that gently gleams,
Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia
Let all things their creator bless, and worship God in humbleness, Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise God the Father, praise the Son, and praise the Spirit, Three-in-One:
Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia


No comments:

Post a Comment