Saturday, March 24, 2012

March 25th 2012

Last week marked the 4th Anniversary of my entering this long term care facility, The IOOF Seniors’ Home. I was very aware of my nice room and all the loving care that surrounded me. Nonetheless, I could not help thinking of the quote “abandon hope all ye who enter here”. Abandoning hope did not mean any thought of some disaster but it did mean to me the end of looking forward to some new adventure or enterprise, a new challenge or fresh call from God. How wrong I was!

There were people all around, both residents and staff, reaching out for the real word of hope. There were other lesser challenges, some little jobs to do and offices to fill. One day a call on the phone -  my grandson with a message from Rev. Elizabeth – would  I be willing to write a little piece for the Happenings? Of course I would. So often that is the way, God calls us. In the course of every day happenings, he drops a request. We pick it up without any hesitation. We need the day- to- day discipline to carry out the task and trust that he will be there to support us by the power of his Holy Spirit. We will not trust in vain. He will be there for us. He will always have things for us to do. There is always joy and strength in doing his will. If we ever find ourselves under a little strain or heavy stress, we should ask ourselves a question. Are we trying to do this task on our own strength? Then we could say this prayer.

Almighty and ever living God increase in us your gift of faith that forsaking what lies behind and reaching to what is before, we may run the way of your commandments and win the crown of everlasting joy; through Jesus Christ our Lord who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God for now and forever.


Painting by
Canon Frances
which Hangings in IOOF

No comments:

Post a Comment