Sunday, February 20, 2011

February 20th 2011

Yesterday morning I had a wonderful time with my red hymn book. I kept coming across old favourites and singing them to myself – very softly. Then I found some lovely ones I had not known and sang them too. By lunch time I felt refreshed and uplifted. Music is so very important in our lives especially our spiritual life. It also brings back many memories.

            The hymn “Amazing Grace” always brings for me special memories of Rachel Obol. Some of you will not remember the Rev. Sam. Obol who came as assistant to Trinity in Canon Speers’ time. He had come to Canada from Uganda to do some post graduate studies. His wife Rachel and his younger children came with him. Their two older boys stayed behind in the family town of Guru which is in Northern Uganda. Because of the rise of the dictator Idi Amin, it was not safe for them to return home and their boys were in danger. Our Primate, Archbishop Scott, arranged Sam’s fare back to Africa and he flew not to Uganda where it was dangerous but to neighbouring Kenya. There he found an elderly lady who could travel on foot unnoticed to Guru and bring the boys back. Sam waited in faith and hope in Kenya, while she took the two hundred mile journey found the boys and returned with them.

            All this time Rachel was waiting in Ontario for news of her loved ones. When it finally came, in joy and thanksgiving, she told me that she gathered her children around her and they sang “Amazing Grace……….I once was lost but now am found”. When Idi Amin was turned out of Uganda the Obols could have stayed here in comfort, but love and duty called them to return to their own people. After some time ministering there the political situation flared up again. They had to escape from Guru and hide in the jungle. Rachel died there. I loved her very much and she is always close to me when I sing the hymn “Amazing Grace”.
The favourite children’s hymn “Jesus Loves Me” conjures up many memories. I will share two. One is of a sturdy little five year old girl who used to sing with determined gusto, “little KIDS to Him belong.” It seemed to me she really knew Jesus.

Then there was the last time I saw David McGuire, a wonderful young priest who was taken from us when he was only forty-two. My husband and I were walking south on Yonge St. in Toronto. He saw us as he came up towards us. His face lit up, he opened his arms and said, “Do you know what? They have accepted my version of, Jesus Loves Me for the new hymn book. You may remember the original words were about being weak and death. His version is about strength and life.

Finally a hymn not usually designated for children but one I have found they all love. It was written by St. Francis of Assisi, “All Creatures of our God and King lift up your voices and let us sing. Alleluia, Alleluia”.
Little children love nature God’s creation. They love to praise their Heavenly Father with Alleluias at the top of their voices. They also love to sing, “Praise Him, Praise Him” softly and sweetly.

I can still see so may little faces as they lift up their voices and sing. “Alleluia”.

No comments:

Post a Comment