Sunday, February 13, 2011

February 13th 2011

Taken while snowboarding down Whistler Mountain  
A couple of weeks ago my granddaughter, who is working in Whistler BC, went snowboarding with a friend. She stopped at the top of the run to adjust her straps. Something serendipitous happened. A little bird perched it’s self on the tip of her snowboard.   Wonder of wonders her camera was at the ready and she was able to get a picture of it. Through the miracle of computers, Emily sent that picture over the rocky mountains, across the prairies, past the great lakes, and down into the little village of Midhurst into her mother’s computer.

Last week the son of my neighbor in the next room to me was married, the wedding took place in California. His mother was sad and depressed that she could not be there. However, modern commutation science to the rescue. Her family was able to arrange to have the ceremony Skyped to her room all the way from San Diego clear across the continent to Barrie. All this is completely beyond my comprehension I even had to ask a young nurse how to spell “Skyping”.  My friend and I both saw actual pictures. She was able to hear the sound of voices, music, even interact with them. Much more then that she was lifted out of her sadness and experienced real joy, real happiness, which was a true experience. It was not just a projection on a computer screen. 
            
The family all enjoyed the picture of the little bird. What it did was bring us a little closer to Emily. We felt real joy in her experience. That joy was real.

In the same way as I cannot understand much of the science, even more so I cannot possibly comprehend the wholeness and wonder of God.  There are many things I have learned about Him, from scripture and the many teachers in my life who have been important but what is truly real is His love in my life as be enters it and moves me forward. “With a quiet a mind through Jesus Christ our Lord who is alive and reigns with you and the holy spirit, one God, now and for ever.”  (Collect for the fifth Sunday after Epiphany)   

(full newsletter at http://www.trinitybarrie.ca/happenings/feb13.pdf )

No comments:

Post a Comment