Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 16th 2011

The older I grow the more the Psalms mean to me. It is hard for me to respond when someone asks which is my favourite. It depends on my need at the time. However, one that is very dear to me is Psalm 103. It is so full of thanksgiving and recognition of God’s many mercies to us and his love and forgiveness. I am sure you have read it many times but please turn to it again and put the joy of your heart into it as you read. While you are at it, go on to Psalm 104. I wish space would allow me to quote at length from it but I love verses 14 and 15. To quote from verse 15 “(You) bring food from the earth and wine to gladden the human heart and oil to make the face shine”.  God does not just provide the necessities of life but some special refreshment and emollients to brighten our skin. Let the cosmetic industry say Amen.

Do we as we are filled with thanksgiving and joy feel guilty? We know there are so many people in the world who are suffering unimaginable pain and sorrow. Why do these people suffer when we receive the necessities of life and extra luxuries as well?

First of all, let us do away with the guilt. It will not help those who are suffering. It will not help us. We must not reject Jesus’ terrible suffering but accept it as the gift it was to us. We must accept his suffering and cast off our guilt and move on to thanking him for this gift of his love. That does not mean we just turn our backs on those in need. It means that we do what is within our power. We give of our time and substance. We give ourselves in prayer. Perhaps God will give us some wonderful opportunity of service; perhaps actually to be with those in distress, to reach out and touch them. This privilege is given only to a few. The rest of us must go forward giving and praying and thanking. We do not give up our concerns for those who suffer. We reach out in love to them. I know it is unsatisfying never finding a real answer to suffering but some day we will know and I am sure the answer will be found somewhere in God’s love.

For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his steadfast
love toward those who fear him;  as far as the east is from the west, 
so far he removes our transgressions from us.
Psalm 103: 11-12  (NRSV)


No comments:

Post a Comment