Sunday, June 19, 2011

June 19th 2011

As I write this, it is the Tuesday after Pentecost. We have a special collect in our prayer books, BCP page 209 for this day. In it we are admonished to "have a right judgement in all things''' and to "rejoice in his comfort". Do you ever contemplate what means most to you on this earth? For me it is certainly people. It is always such a joy when someone comes in my door whether it is family or friends, a staff member or another resident. Despite that, I'm seldom lonely and enjoy solitude because I am not alone. It is a joy to come together with my brothers and sisters in Christ to worship.

1 also need to be alone with God. To be with him is to pray. For years, I have felt a guilt about prayer, the need to be at prayer, the need for more discipline. In other words, I struggle to have a vital prayer life. It must have shown because one day, our dear friend Janet Mitchell challenged me "why do you always speak of prayer as being difficult"? That opened my mind and my heart. I stopped struggling and let him take over. God wants us, as much as we want him, I wrote several weeks ago. Intercessional prayer is when all those people and causes of whom I am concerned come with me into his presence. He is not up there in some place called heaven. He is here with us where we can reach out and feel his presence. Our love touches him who is the source of all love. We were made from that love; we are made in his image.

It is not possible in this life to realize the full majesty of the father but we can have an experience of him through what he revealed in his son Jesus Christ. This enlightenment comes through the comfort and power of the Holy Spirit. Thus we are enfolded by the grace and love of the Holy Trinity. Let us as the collect admonishes us, "rejoice in his comfort".

No comments:

Post a Comment