Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 10th 2011

About sixty years ago I was persuaded to take a job as Director of a Fresh Air Camp for about 70 women and children from the inner City of Toronto. They were all very poor and the campsite in a farmer’s field on the shores of Lake Ontario had little to offer. There was a recreation hall, dining room and kitchen and the accommodation consisted of tents. I struggled to keep the campers happy and well fed on a very low budget. There was one saving grace. Some inspired volunteer who had come to help set up camp brought some morning glory seeds and planted them in front of my little cabin and nailed on strings for them to climb up when they bloomed. Well, bloom they did and climb they did until I had a shining curtain of colour in front of my poor little hut which was my bedroom and office. Those bright flowers, became not just a joy but a source of strength for me. I would go out and breathe in inspiration from them until I started to question my theology. Was this some pagan rite I was descending into or at the very least leaning toward a type of pantheism ? As I meditated daily in front of them, I began to realize that my God and Father my creator was truly reaching out to me through his creation.

Suddenly, in a deep puddle in front of my office window, little City boys discovered the joys of playing in the mud. A small Down’s syndrome toddler, when he saw me, clapped his hands to his head and started to sing the song Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes which I had been trying hard to teach him.  Eaton’s store sent us a big crate of goodies including kippers which
many of the English mothers truly enjoyed.

Headquarters sent me another staff member.  When she arrived in a taxi, stepped out with her elegant high heels and elegant hairdo, my heart sank. However, she was a real gift. She got music out of our broken down piano, cleaned filthy cabins and still looked elegant. The somewhat uncooperative farmer whose land we rented suddenly melted and put out a pen full of baby pigs for the City children to enjoy watching. My creator, God and Father spoke to me and strengthened though his creation by the power of the Holy spirit, I was constantly in the arms my loving Saviour his son Jesus Christ.

Again I close with a Collect from BAS Trinity Sunday. Father we praise you. Through your Word and Holy Spirit you created all things. You reveal your salvation in all the World by sending to us Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh. Through your Holy Spirit, you give us a share in your life and love.. Fill us with a vision of your glory that we may all serve and praise you, Father Son and Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment