Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 6th 2011

           From time to time, we are asked to choose a favourite psalm for a special occasion. Many people automatically choose the 23rd Psalm, I never do. It is one of the most meaningful and beautiful psalms but it often seems to be the only one people know. I am going to suggest when you have a relaxing moment, sit down and soak up the psalms.
            As you read, think of the people who sang them several thousand years ago. How did they draw nearer to God as they sang? How do we draw nearer to Him?
            Time and space does not allow me to do more than start out with you. You may remember being taught at Sunday School that the Book of Psalms is in the very centre of the Bible. Give a little thought to the fact that worship needs to be the very centre of our lives. I open my Bible up in the centre (allowing for concordance and index at the back) my eye falls on Psalm 27, wonderful!  That is a great hymn of confidence and joy. “I will sing and make melody to the Lord.” (Psalm 26:6). Then my eye falls on Psalm 24. The Jewish people used to sing this as they went up to Jerusalem, for the Feast of Passover. Think of them singing this psalm as they reach the Holy City and enter the Temple. Another imaginary thought; a picture in my mind of the people of Trinity singing it as they go up our hill to church.
            Here is Psalm 25, when I was able to read I was given my first Bible. On the flyleaf was inscribed, “Lead me in they truth and teach me.  (Psalm 25:5B)
            In spite of myself I am being led to the 23rd Psalm. “The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want.” Does that mean that with the Lord to look after us we will have everything we want? No, it comes to me as I read, with the Lord to look after us, we have no need for anything else and, “I will dwell in the hours of the Lord forever.” (Psalm 23:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment